Vegetarian Recipe Ideas for Diabetes:
Vegan diet (no meat, milk or eggs)
• Sandwich with grilled vegetables. It can be prepared with slices of mushrooms, onions, artichokes, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, cooked in a little olive oil and sprinkled with balsamic vinegar. The vegetables are placed between two slices of whole wheat bread or rye and can be seasoned with tomato or pepper sauce.
• Vegetarian chili. From tomatoes, squash, peppers, onions, garlic and different types of beans you can make a consistent stew. Meat substitutes (soy) or sweet potatoes, which have a lower glycemic index, can also be added to it. Season with your favorite spices.
• Vegetarian fajitas. Fill the corn sticks (tortilla) with chopped onions and peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, mashed avocado and salsa sauce. Add a portion of brown rice or black beans.
• Wholemeal pasta with sea sauce. Buy or make a marinara sauce (specifically Italian tomato sauce, which is made from ripe tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and herbs), add some cooked or pan-fried vegetables and serve on a portion of pasta. You can also add soy cubes.
• Vegetables in the pan . In a pan with a little olive oil mix vegetables such as peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, peas, baby corn, carrots, onions, etc. When the vegetables are browned, add tofu and serve with brown rice.
• Salads. Different varieties of green leaves, from lettuce to spinach, can make up the base of a salad with different fresh vegetables and fruits (dried or raw, such as raisins or pears), in which you can add boiled beans, chickpeas, nuts. , cashews or seeds and some croutons. Use a low-fat dressing. (If you follow a vegetarian or ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet, you can add hard boiled eggs or skim cheese.)
• Soup. On many culinary sites there are numerous recipes for vegetarian soups, beans, lentils, or vegetable soups. Find and write down some to your liking.
Lacto-vegetarian diet (no eggs)
• Broccoli soup with cheese . On the Internet you will find several recipes for this type of soup, which is served with bread, in your case from whole grains. At lunch, add to the soup a salad with green leaves, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and a low-fat sauce.
• Burrito with beans. Fill a whole wheat tortilla with boiled beans or drained from the canned sauce. Add salsa and low-fat cheese. Heat the burrito to melt the cheese, and serve.
• Grilled cheese sandwich. Make a sandwich with low-fat cheese and whole grain bread, add tomatoes or other vegetables and then grill.
• Falafel. Fill a whole wheat stick with a few pieces of falafel (chickpea and sesame meatballs, fried in oil), a sauce based on yogurt, cucumbers and tomatoes. You can add ripe eggplant salad and fresh parsley.
• Vegetarian quesadilla. Fill a whole wheat tortilla with grilled peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and low-fat cheese, then heat it on the grill.
• Vegetarian burger. You can make vegetable meatballs at home, if you find a recipe you like, or you can buy ready-made meatballs from the store. Then cover them with a slice of low-fat cheese, a few slices of avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, onion and use a whole wheat bun. If you take out the cheese, you get a vegan meal.
• The pizza. On the pizza dough you can put: tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese and various toppings with your favorite vegetables, such as peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, arugula, etc.
• Wholemeal pasta with pesto sauce . The pesto sauce is made from basil, parmesan, garlic, olive oil and lightly browned pine buds. Add to cooked wholemeal pasta. You can also add your favorite vegetables or simply crispy, fresh salad leaves.
• Dessert with yogurt. A low-fat yogurt, fresh vanilla sugar and chopped nuts can be added to a low-fat yogurt.
• Stuffed peppers. Fill the peppers with a mixture of brown rice, textured soy, non-starchy vegetables and shredded cheese.
Vegetarian lacto-ovo diet (in which both milk and eggs can be used)
• Vegetable omelette. For an omelet with two eggs or three egg whites and a yolk, you can put tomatoes, mushrooms, onions or other vegetables of your choice. You can add the dried cheese, which is left to melt a little before serving.
• Lasagna with vegetables. Find a lasagna recipe with vegetables. Use low-fat ricotta cheese. This kind of cheese complements very well a lot of types of vegetables: tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and broccoli. Don’t forget to use wholemeal pasta. Cover with marinade sauce. Many lasagna recipes are made with eggs, but there are also some vegan lasagna recipes that use tofu instead of cheese.
• Eggplant with parmesan . For baked eggplant with parmesan you can find more recipes on the Internet. Serve sprinkled with marinara sauce, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and a small amount of wholemeal pasta. (Note that most baked eggplant parmesan recipes also include eggs.)
• Sandwich with egg salad. Boiled eggs can be served between two slices of wholemeal bread, with watercress or other fresh greens and light mayonnaise.
• You can serve whole grains with 1/2 cup of low-fat milk (soy milk for vegan diets)
• 1 slice of wholemeal toast, with peanut butter and a piece of fresh fruit.
• Fruit smoothie with yogurt (or soy milk for vegan diets).
• Oatmeal made with water or soy milk, served with chopped nuts and dried fruit.
• Tofu omelette, for ovo-vegetarians.
• Pancakes made of almond flour, with a small amount of jam or with weak cow’s cheese and fresh berries.
Discover here more ideas for healthy recipes .