Many people give up meat in favor of a vegetarian diet, and the options are not limited at all, as we would be tempted to believe. Here are some recipe suggestions for 3 types of vegetarian diets.
Vegan diet – without dairy and eggs
• Grilled vegetable sandwich – cut mushrooms, onions, artichokes, tomatoes, zucchini and pumpkin and sauté in a few drops of olive oil and balsamic vinegar; put the mixture between two slices of wholemeal bread;
• vegetarian chilli – prepared from tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and beans, seasoned with cumin and chilli powder; boil in stock vegetable soup, not chicken or beef;
• vegetarian fajitas – made from corn tortilla stuffed with onions, peppers, tomatoes, avocado and salsa sauce;
• brown rice with vegetables (broccoli, corn, peas, carrots, onions, bell peppers) and pan-fried tofu in very little oil;
• spinach salad with vegetables, dried or fresh fruits, beans, nuts, seeds, croutons and low-fat dressing;
• bean soup, lentils and other vegetables
Lacto-vegetarian diet – includes dairy products and excludes eggs
• cream broccoli and cheese soup served with a wholemeal bun or with a vegetable salad;
• burrito with beans, low-fat cheese and salsa sauce;
• sandwich with grilled cheese and tomatoes;
• chickpea meatballs in pita, with tzatziki sauce made from Greek yogurt, cucumbers and tomatoes;
• vegetarian quesadilla – add grilled peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes on the tortilla and sprinkle grated cheese and a dressing of avocado paste or cream sauce with low fat content on top;
• vegetarian burger with lean cheese, a few slices of avocado, tomatoes, lettuce and onion;
• pizza with vegetables and mozzarella;
• wholemeal pasta with pesto sauce;
• yogurt parfait – made from low-fat vanilla yogurt, fresh berries and chopped nuts;
• bell peppers stuffed with brown rice, soy, non-starchy vegetables and grated cheese.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet – includes dairy and eggs
• scrambled eggs with sauteed spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and grated cheese sprinkled on top;
• lasagna with ricotta / tofu cheese, pumpkin, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and broccoli;
• baked eggplant with parmesan;
• crushed boiled egg mixed with light mayonnaise, which you put on a slice of wholemeal bread.
For breakfast, you have a variety of options: whole grains with soy milk, wholemeal bread with peanut butter and a fruit, yogurt smoothie or soy milk with fruit, oats with nuts or dried fruit, egg omelette or tofu, muffins with berries.